I was one of the people from Wegmans who discovered the Atry Smoked Basmati Rice at the Natural Products Trade Show in California last year. Now we carry it at Wegmans and I am an enthusiastic customer. It’s light, mysterious and delicious.
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 ½ cups smoked basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 big pinches salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Toast the cumin seeds lightly in a dry frying pan.
- Measure rice and water into a medium pot. Add the salt and cumin seeds.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, lower heat to simmer, and cook till all water is absorbed. With this rice it happens fast, about 10 minutes. So check on it!
- Lay pats of butter on top, put the cover back on, and leave 10-15 minutes to stabilize.
- Fluff and taste. I must say that this rice is especially good if you add a few extra grinds or sprinklings of good salt right now.